January 2015 Open Positions .pdf
Original filename: January 2015_Open Positions.pdf
This PDF 1.5 document has been generated by / doPDF Ver 7.3 Build 394 (Windows 7 Business Edition (SP 1) - Version: 6.1.7601 (x64)), and has been sent on pdf-archive.com on 26/01/2015 at 23:22, from IP address 141.225.x.x.
The current document download page has been viewed 446 times.
File size: 39 KB (5 pages).
Privacy: public file
Download original PDF file
Maisha Development Trust, Vacancy Announcement
Maisha Development Trust (MT) is a local NGO with a long history of working with
residents of informal settlements in Homabay Town, Homabay County. Through
transformative, participatory, community-led, and sustainable projects, MT aims at
changing fortunes of residents of Homabay slums. Currently, MT is implementing projects;
livelihoods improvement and HIV services, both within the slums of Homabay Town. In
January 2015, MT is launching a new prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV
project. Among problems targeted by the new project include low health facility assisted
delivery, HIV stigma, poor medication adherence and loss to follow up, and late
identification of HIV positive pregnant women. To effectively deliver its programme
activities, MT has the following open positions: M&E Officer, Programme Accountant;
Grants Officer, and Student Interns
Position Title I:
M&E Officer (One position, based in Homabay)
The Monitoring & Evaluation (ME) Officer will provide day-to-day management of the
monitoring and evaluation activities; including working with program staff, partners and
Chair, Board of Trustees
1. Provide overall management for the design and implementation of M&E
system, working closely with other program staff, consultants and partners and
provide progress updates to the Board of Trustees, and key stakeholders.
2. Serve as the primary point person for all monitoring and evaluation related
3. Develop and refine various data collection instruments (both quantitative and
qualitative), and maintain a results database to aggregate data.
4. Manage the information-gathering process for results and performance reports,
in addition to other briefings, summaries, papers, presentations, etc. for
various audiences as needed.
5. Train MT program staff on the accurate use of the monitoring systems,
providing ongoing coaching/support through regular project meetings.
6. Ensure quality control and problem solving as needed.
7. Document good practices, lessons learned trends, cross-cutting implementation
8. Research and collect content and stories about the project's achievements.
1. Minimum of two years professional experience in M&E positions of increasing seniority
with responsibility for implementing M&E activities of development projects.
2. Bachelors’ degree or Diploma in statistics, demographics, economics, social work or
related field. Certificate in M&E or statistics, added advantage.
3. Experience designing and managing project monitoring and database systems.
4. Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator
selection, target setting, reporting, and developing M&E and performance monitoring
5. Some knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative,
quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis
6. Some experience in planning and managing surveys, developing and refining data
collection tools, data quality assessments and oversight and managing and providing
ongoing training to M&E field officers.
7. Ability to facilitate and serve as a project liaison for externally-managed evaluations.
8. Must be proficient in both written and spoken English language
9. Working knowledge of IT added advantage
10. Willingness to learn and to work as part of a team
Position Title II:
Programme Accountant (One position, based in Homabay)
The programme accountant will assume primary responsibility for preparing, managing
and providing financial information to project coordinators, board of trustees, and other
Chair, Board of Trustees
1. Prepare asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing
2. Document financial transactions by entering account information
3. Recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options
4. Summarize current financial status by collecting information; preparing
balance sheet, and other reports
5. Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents
6. Maintain accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and
7. Guide accounting clerical staff by coordinating activities and answering
8. Reconcile financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account
9. Secure financial information by completing data base backups
10. Maintain financial security by following internal controls
11. Prepare payments by verifying documentation, and requesting disbursements
12. Answer accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting
accounting policy and regulations
13. Comply with government financial legal requirements by studying existing and
new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising
management on needed actions
14. Prepare special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing
account information and trends
15. Maintain client confidence and protect operations by keeping financial
16. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational
workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks;
participating in professional societies
17. Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Education and professional training that guarantees the following skills and
qualification: Accounting, Corporate Finance, Reporting Skills, Attention to Detail,
Deadline-Oriented, Reporting Research Results, Confidentiality, Time
Management, Data Entry Management, General Math Skills. At least two years of
Willingness to learn and to work as part of a team
Position Title III:
Grants Officer (One position, based in Homabay)
1. Working with the programme accountant, project coordinators and the board
of trustees, take lead role in developing, managing, delivering and promoting
the Maisha Trust’s grants’ programme
2. Ensure that the grants review and selection process is conducted transparently,
in a responsible, professional and financially sound manner, and in accordance
with Maisha Trust’s policies and procedures
3. Participate in sharing and planning meetings to discuss and address issues related to
grants programme implementation
4. Works closely with field officers and other programme staff to ensure timely delivery
of technical assistants to grantee organizations
5. Lead role in active and continuous monitoring of grantees to ensure compliance
6. Facilitates regular communication with grantees, maintains cooperative partnerships
between Maisha Trus and the grantees and other possible stakeholders
7. Assists in the development of and maintains the system of a database of grantees,
including a tracking system that provides frequent updates on fund-flows, reporting
requirements, audits, contract deliverables and budget revisions.
8. Participates in the annual work planning and budgeting process for the grants
9. Assist programme coordinators in preparation and writing of progress and annual
reports, annual workplans, status reports and other documents that may be requested
by the board of trustees and other stakeholders
1. Relevant diploma certificate related to international development, economics,
finance, social sciences, community development, democracy and governance
2. Demonstrable knowledge of grant management
3. At least one year of experience working in social programmes
4. Willingness to learn and to work as part of a team
Position Title IV:
Student Interns (Multiple positions, based in Homabay)
What you will learn/ gain:
Practical field work experience: depending on the project you choose, you will get to
work with either community health workers to identify, educate and link pregnant women
and young women to health facilities, or work with field officers and other volunteers to
make home visits to people living with HIV, monitor their adherence to treatment and
support them as necessary. You will also be responsible for maintain up-to-date and
complete records of clients assigned to you and progress regular oral and written updates
to your project teams.
What we require:
Attributes and skills: commitment to community work, strong people and team skills,
willingness to learn and adapt to field conditions and computer skills.
Education: you should be enrolled for a relevant community, health or social development
course at certificate, diploma or degree. Students who have recently graduated and are
looking for field work experience are also welcome to apply.
What we will provide:
Mentorship, competent and supportive supervision for all assigned tasks, basic office
facilities including a desktop computer, internet access and stationary
Positions open on February 23rd. There exists flexibility in hours and days of work based
on each applicant school schedule or other work engagements
If interested in any of the above positions, submit a cover letter and three page CV to
email@example.com no later than close of business Friday January 30th, 2015.