Interesting Facts about Aluminum .pdf
Original filename: Interesting Facts about Aluminum.pdf
This PDF 1.7 document has been generated by WPS Office / , and has been sent on pdf-archive.com on 28/07/2015 at 10:56, from IP address 104.143.x.x.
The current document download page has been viewed 380 times.
File size: 174 KB (4 pages).
Privacy: public file
Download original PDF file
Interesting Facts about Aluminum
Key words: aluminum facts,aluminum interesting facts, interesting facts about
aluminum, aluminum can recycling facts, aluminum information, aluminum
aluminum, aluminum production, the properties of aluminium
1. The element aluminum can be also called "aluminium". Aluminum is the
American and Canadian spelling, while aluminium is preferred outside North
2. Aluminum is the most abundant metal and the third most abundant element
in the Earth's crust.
3. Aluminum is the second most widely used metal, while the first is iron.
4. The primary source of aluminum is the ore bauxite.
5. Four tons of bauxite produce one ton of aluminum, which is enough to
manufacture 60,000 beverage cans.
6. China, Russia, and Canada lead the world in smelter production of
7. Aluminum was at one time more valuable than gold.
Facts About Properties
1. Aluminum is often used as an alloy.
2. Aluminum is one of the most difficult metals to refine, since it is oxidized
rapidly and its oxide is extremely stable.
3. The extremely thin layer of oxide formed rapidly in the air provides excellent
corrosion protection for aluminum.
4. Aluminum has a good strength, and four six-packs (24 cans) can hold a
4,000-pound aluminum-bodied sedan.
5. Aluminum is lightweight, with a density one third that of steel, making it
easier to handle and less expensive to ship.
6. Aluminum has a high thermal conductivity and high ductility.
7. Aluminum is a very reflective metal, making it very useful in home decor
items. It reflects about 92% of visible light, and about 98% of infrared rays.
8. Aluminum is non-sparking, making it great using in explosive materials or
highly flammable environments.
9. Aluminium cans are the only container allowed in the Himalayas, Nepal,
since they crush easily and are light.
Facts About Recycling
1. Aluminum can be recycled over and over again with the same physical
properties as the original aluminum.
2. Used aluminum beverage cans are the most recycled item in the U.S..
3. Every minute over 100,000 aluminum cans are recycled in the U.S.
4. Aluminum cans account for less than 1% of solid waste stream in the United
5. Recycling aluminum creates 97% less water pollution and 95% less air
pollution than producing new aluminum from virgin ore.
6. Recycling aluminum saves 95% of the energy that producing it from virgin
7. The energy used for making one can from virgin ore can be used for making
20 cans from recycled aluminum.
8. The energy saved by recycling 1 ton of aluminum can serve a typical home
for 10 years.