medical response breakdown and flow chart .pdf
_____________ School District
Emergency Medical Response
The following protocol should be followed in response to reported injuries or medical emergencies
involving students, staff or community member.
If ever in doubt, first step is call 911.
• In the event a student, staff or community member has a medical issue, someone should
immediately contact the Office to report the incident.
• Office notifies the school nurse by radio.
• If the nurse does not respond the medical team will be activated.
• When the med team is activated, one member will respond with the AED and will be in
communication by radio with the team and office.
• If school nurse/med team unavailable, call 911 immediately.
• The individual at the scene should stay with the injured until help arrives.
• The first person arriving at the scene with medical training will triage accordingly, until higher
level medically trained person arrives to take over/assist
Upon receiving the call, the nurse will respond to the scene with her first aid bag. She will assess the
situation and determine the appropriate level of response.
Stay Put may be activated depending on the situation
Medical Response Team:
School Nurse: Responds immediately to scene
Additional Support: Building specific personnel report to the scene
Office Staff: Wait for directions from the school nurse and follow protocol of flow chart
Staff Member: Will be designated to remain at the office to facilitate smooth flow of situation and to
arrange for coverage as needed (i.e. Health Office, classroom etc.)
office #____ / Health Office #___
office #____/ Health Office #___
office #____/ Health office #___
Call parent using script when directed.
Print Biographical MMS when directed
Copy emergency treatment forms when directed
Lakes Region Dispatch: 524-1545
Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222
Fire Dept : ___________
Police Dept : ___________
Incident report/ Workers Comp filing needs to be completed ASAP.