PDF Archive

Easily share your PDF documents with your contacts, on the Web and Social Networks.

Share a file Manage my documents Convert Recover PDF Search Help Contact

deals woot rip nov 24 2009 jul 31 2016 p01 .pdf

Original filename: deals-woot-rip-nov-24-2009-jul-31-2016-p01.pdf

Download original PDF file

Document preview

ask the community

leaderboard

what is deals.woot?

questions → deals.woot rip: november 24, 2009 – july 31, 2016

Deals.Woot RIP: November 24, 2009 – July 31, 2016
JUL 29, 2016 1:59 PM

tattle subscribe

Gossip Girl. L.A. Law. Breaking Bad. All good things that eventually came to an end. Now Deals.Woot
joins them in the place beyond the mists. Because at midnight on July 31, after 2,442 days of glory,
Deals.Woot will close its virtual doors.
We’d like to thank all of our community members, deal posters, sponsored companies, and anyone
else we may have forgotten. We've made this hard decision so we can focus on other areas of the
site, ones that are growing in popularity and require more resources than ever before. Or, to be
poetic, to grow a lovely tree one must prune branches to protect the trunk.
Consider this thread yours, to talk about the good times you had in deals, all the magical in-jokes
you shared, and all the memories that we made over the past seven years. Just please remember:
PG-13. We don’t want those lingerie debates starting all over again.

We are postponing the close to noon on Monday, 8/1.
tags: meta

deals.woot

wootg8r

TOP ANSWERS

I'm sad to see it go. But I think it's the right decision.
JUL 29, 2016 4:52 PM

reply tattle

deals.woot go, but it's understandable (and in some ways preferable to it languishing).
JUL 29, 2016 5:23 PM

sort by:

I miss what it used to be, but good riddance to what it has become. I quit coming here a few weeks
ago, except to check out the community. Arrivaderci, Deals.Woot!
JUL 29, 2016 2:20 PM

shawnmiller

177 ANSWERS

newest oldest votes
glynis37

reply tattle

definitely going to miss the people I interacted with, but most of those left a while ago

dave bug

digital babies. Even though I helped lead the team through a few woot.com redesigns this
was the first Woot effort I built from the ground up with tons of help from Joe andread
Mattmore
and
JUL 29, 2016 8:08 PM

snapster

natedogg828

back in the day we had fun (remember crab day anyone), got prizes; thanks Jumbo may you
continue to RIP :( and actually found good deals for stuff we were looking for
JUL 29, 2016 2:26 PM

reply tattle

@natedogg828: Crab day was kinda surreal.

JUL 29, 2016 4:18 PM

@mattschuette: live every day like it's crab day

JUL 29, 2016 4:23 PM

gottaturnuptheso…

reply tattle

I miss what it was, but will not miss what it has become.

mattschuette

bazzfazz

Too bad The Powers That Be have decided to kill it rather than fix it, especially since the rest of the
Woot site is pretty useless these days, to. Time to leave (for the second time) I guess.
JUL 29, 2016 4:26 PM

reply tattle

I'm genuinely sad for all those left behind, and who were working so very hard to stave off the

spiraling decay, but I understand that the time has come. I wonder what happens to all the posts,

shrdlu

both on the deals side, and the questions side...
Some of those things were an awful lot of fun, including the recipes, and that conversations about
gardening. I'll probably be back later, with a good old-fashioned multiple post commentary, but I'm
just sad to see it go, and yet relieved, as well. I hope all the Dallas folks have places to go, and that
everyone will be okay. Now I'm really sad.
JUL 29, 2016 4:27 PM

reply tattle

Don't know I will be able to move on. I foresee what has happened here as finding a way to leach

into the rest of woot; just like a cancer that spreads.

mtm2

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to be the way the internet (world) has become.
JUL 29, 2016 4:32 PM

reply tattle

There was a time nearly everything done here had humor involved....when people stopped have a

sense of humor, or just sense perhaps, things changed.
JUL 29, 2016 4:32 PM

mtm2

Hi, f00l

riknik

JUL 29, 2016 4:47 PM

reply tattle

This place was so fun in it's glory days. I remember getting so excited the first time I was #1.

JUL 29, 2016 4:52 PM

Of the platform, this remains one of my favorite UIs. I was sad to see it underutilized and I'm sad to

conanthelibrarian

reply tattle

see it go. But I think it's the right decision.

snapster

I'm not here on invite and don't have much connection to the present or any to the future, but I can
speak to the past. Thank you to staff and community who made this branch of Woot one of the most
interesting and energetic. At times we teased a great level of disruption through this platform and I
am proud of the effort and community that was fostered.
Others may know that our former deals.woot director was lost to depression a few years ago and his
story is a part of our memories here as well. They are happy memories and I'm proud to have
participated in something that I believe made him happy for a time.
I doubt many from the past will see this, given that low usage is a core reason to shut this down but
if you do, post a note and we'll create a nice future Internet Archive site that we can revisit later.
Goodbye
JUL 29, 2016 4:52 PM

reply tattle

Sorry to see it happen but I can't say I'm that surprised by it. For years it's been one of the first

sites I check when I am eating breakfast and getting ready for work in the morning. Even with the

lparsons42

recent deluge of spam that has been working through there have been some diamonds in the rough.
Anyone have any suggestions for similar deal aggregation sites? I usually check the best buy "deal
of the day" and a couple other deal of the day sites but I don't know a good one out there that
pools others together (I did see the new compusa.com is attempting to do that but whether they'll
do a good/honest job of it is anyone's guess).
JUL 29, 2016 4:56 PM

@snapster:

mattschuette

JUL 29, 2016 4:59 PM

reply tattle

As much as this announcement saddens me, it was inevitable. There's been nothing here of value

except for a few dedicated members and staff for a very long time. I kept posting my wee audiobook

f00l

deals and wondered why I bothered? I suppose, to honor what had once been, and the people who
made it great.
I remember the days when I would rush home from work to check the forums, and finish reading
simply because I had a new day coming a few hours hence.
All my best to everyone I remember from the good days. I would hope that perhaps the ATC
archives might still be available in some form?
To those who have stayed until the end, i am more fond of you all, and more indebted to you, than I
know how to convey.
JUL 29, 2016 5:03 PM

reply tattle

hello. i'm carl669. once upon a time, in a galaxy not too far away, i battled @lichme

(LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICH!!!) for the top spot on the leaderboard. i failed.

carl669

deals.woot was a really fun community and i'm glad to have been a part of it. can't say that i'm
necessarily sad it's going away since i haven't been here in a while. but, i'll always remember the
good times. and the cake. in a jar. from @pemberducky.
/giphy i hope you had the time of your life
edit: dammit. that doesn't work here.
edit 2: there's still a deals.woot channel on rizon for anyone that's interested. i try to get over there
once a year or so.
JUL 29, 2016 5:04 PM

@lparsons42:

Re other sites, I use slickdeals and dealnews. Ben's bargains and fatwallet have been useful.
For hanging out, there's meh. ;)
JUL 29, 2016 5:05 PM

f00l

PS to all the employees - thanks for your efforts over the years. I hope you all have many options.

Dallas isn't the worst place for that.
JUL 29, 2016 5:10 PM

@carl669: cake

JUL 29, 2016 5:21 PM

pemberducky
reply tattle

@f00l: The way I read the post it seems there is a fair chance that the employee(s) that manage(s)

f00l

reply tattle

DW may well be reassigned to a different duty at woot.

lparsons42

Thank you for the suggestion for other sites; I'll check them out. It will take a while for my fingers to
get used to not typing deals.woot into the browser in the morning, though...
JUL 29, 2016 5:22 PM

reply tattle

Figured I'd stop in to say goodbye, too. There's definitely some sadness in seeing deals.woot go, but

it's understandable (and in some ways preferable to it languishing).

dave bug

I've asked the Archive Team (archiveteam.org) to archive the site, and, even with just two days
notice, they think they can get it covered ( https://twitter.com/ArchiveBot/status
/759072448155361280 ). Thanks, Archive Team!
I always hate to see things disappear off the internet, especially community, and there's plenty of
history here (both personal and otherwise). Goodbye, Deals.Woot.
JUL 29, 2016 5:23 PM

Goodbye deals.woot.... It's sad to see you go. :(

JUL 29, 2016 5:27 PM

All good things must come to an end ...

taternuggets

narfcake

On the deals side, the theme days were always fun. On a more than one occasion, I bought things I
wouldn't have yet if it wasn't posted.
On the questions side, almost anything could be asked and most likely someone had an answer.
Those days are past now, but the friends I've made here didn't go away. And the spirit of the
deals.woot community will remain.
JUL 29, 2016 5:28 PM

reply tattle

@pemberducky: I think I got the better don't-quit-cake out of that time. :)

JUL 29, 2016 5:32 PM

I know we've had our differences deals.woot...

narfcake

studerc

But, this...is where I started. Years ago, I chose this place to be how I would join this insanely
amazing community of people. The years were great and I've "met" quite a fair share of amazing
people along the way. Between "q" threads, general antics regarding reputation and competition,
and even the occasional coupon code...I really did love this place. While I may have left years ago, it
certainly made this goodbye a bit easier to swallow. Nevertheless, a damn shame that this place had
to go the way it did over the last few years culminating in a final goodbye in just a few short days.
Enjoy your archival rest deals.woot, you were certainly thrown through the ringer.
For posterity: studerc #78 reputation 98.13%
JUL 29, 2016 5:36 PM

reply tattle

I will remember you fondly deals.wOOt. Met some great people here that I still interact with now.

Rest In Peace.
JUL 29, 2016 5:43 PM

reply tattle

I never really used it, as it's not really relevant when there's www.slickdeals.net

-16 JUL 29, 2016 6:10 PM

poopfeast420

Oh and I sort of met my girlfriend because of deals.woot so thanks for that lol.
JUL 29, 2016 6:21 PM

reply tattle

I'm sorry to see it go, though I've not posted anything here for eons and only very rarely look at it

mystery250

reply tattle

RIP in peace, rest in paradise.

mfladd

at all.

baqui63

I have fond memories of the times when I'd spend a good part of my day on this site and the
various things we'd do to game the reputation (once, briefly, back when it meant something, I made
it to 2nd or 3rd for a short while... now I'm at 91 (reputation 97.82%) without any activity for eons).
I have a number of close friends as a result of this place. My thanks to it and what it once was.
An archive of the ATC is awesome!
JUL 29, 2016 6:26 PM

reply tattle

@baqui63: remember that time we met and I drank your wine and also there were girls there?

JUL 29, 2016 6:29 PM

I remember the time I was able to help out @agingdragqueen be helping fix a screen door from

2500+ miles away via messaging back and forth. After the many times ADQ helped me out with

JUL 29, 2016 7:06 PM

bigfriendlykrk

reply tattle

@natedogg828: that was GENUINELY cool. I tried the same method to try to fix my closet doors

natedogg828

customer service issues to get them resolved I was glad I could return the favor
JUL 29, 2016 7:03 PM

poopfeast420

reply tattle

which I did basically the same thing to but they have different rollers. Eventually I'll tell the
apartment people in shame.

agingdragqueen

JUL 29, 2016 7:17 PM

reply tattle

@agingdragqueen: miss you and once again, if I haven't said it enough, I was my pleasure to help

JUL 29, 2016 7:21 PM

Goodbye again to @jsjohnson64, aka @jabathewoot, aka @jumbowoot, and to @gmwhit, and to

natedogg828

reply tattle

@dosquatch. I was already crying anyway. Might as well go for broke.

shrdlu

I'm going to play in the garden for a while, I think. Maybe I'll plant some lobster seeds.
JUL 29, 2016 7:44 PM

reply tattle

Wow, just now seeing this or I would have posted sooner. I consider this site one of my digital

babies. Even though I helped lead the team through a few woot.com redesigns this was the first

shawnmiller

Woot effort I built from the ground up with tons of help from Joe and Matt and Russ and eventually
others we pulled in along the way. It was also the first thing we built in "the cloud", the first search
engine we built, and the first thing we built on top of Amazon SimpleDB before we realized what a
horrible database it was and switched to MongoDB.
We spent so many hours tweaking various bits here and there trying to grow this community.
Remember the "stupid questions" tab? The "Q" beta users group? Remember when we launched
deal collapsing, the leaderboard, advanced search? Remember when we took this platform and tried
to apply it to local vouchers in Dallas, St. Louis, New York, and Los Angeles for Local.Woot?
So many memories. I will not soon forget the time we spent here.
Goodbye Deals.Woot
JUL 29, 2016 8:08 PM

reply tattle

@snapster: what would it take to resurrect this anew as a mediocre deals site? You've got the

following to get a decent amount of the old gang back!
JUL 29, 2016 8:13 PM

reply tattle

One of my fondest memories here were the roundups led by @capguncowboy when those silly

spammers poked their heads in. It felt like we were doing some real good in the world with our

reply tattle

@shawnmiller: I think it was actually Seattle, not Los Angeles. Otherwise, I would've actually used
it!
JUL 29, 2016 8:22 PM

JUL 29, 2016 8:22 PM

JUL 29, 2016 8:32 PM

point before we shut down Local.Woot.
JUL 29, 2016 8:41 PM

f00l

The B-52's.
JUL 29, 2016 8:45 PM

@luvche21

shawnmiller

@snapster:

luvche21

reply tattle

@narfcake: yes, Seattle would make more sense. I think I had a prototype of Los Angeles at some

snapster

@snapster: Red Lobster?

narfcake

reply tattle

@luvche21: a lobster shopping site? who wants that?

luvche21

trusty downvotes.
JUL 29, 2016 8:17 PM

luvche21

capguncowboy

:*(
This site has been dearly missed over the past few years.
I'll see you guys on Meh :)
For those of you that aren't there yet: may your lives be happy and perhaps we'll meet again.
JUL 29, 2016 9:05 PM

reply tattle

It was fun while it lasted, but it was killed a long time ago. Good riddance. Happily the community

has a better (well, at least mediocre) place to migrate to.
JUL 29, 2016 9:51 PM

It can only be said, all good things must come to an end. Summer vacations from school, Christmas

time off, three day weekends, and now deals.woot....
JUL 29, 2016 10:06 PM

the company.
JUL 29, 2016 10:15 PM

jebby

reply tattle

I probably still have screen shots of when I finally hit the #1 spot, oh man how exciting that was! I

mtm2

reply tattle

@snapster: yes, I know for a fact it made him very happy. He came a long way from his first gig at

panthiest

reply tattle

still remember my strategy to make top voter for the day. So long ago.... Sorry to see the site shut

lmensor

down, it was at one point my favorite part of woot! though I admit I haven't been very active in quite
a long time.
JUL 29, 2016 10:39 PM

reply tattle

Deals.Woot is what drew me to Woot in the first place. I used to spend a lot of time here. I really

enjoyed being part of the community.

hot72chev

I'm so glad we had this time together...just to have a laugh or sing a song.
Seems like we just got started, and before you know it...comes the time we have to say SO LONG!
JUL 29, 2016 10:55 PM

reply tattle

@mtm2 I have always liked you. Please joins us.

JUL 29, 2016 11:42 PM

mfladd

Hate to see it go as it used to be quite rewarding to find deals that you guys loved. But even with the

best, all good things...

cobracat03

Fair winds and following seas my friends.
P.S. Many thanks to @ohcheri for bringing Cora back to these once unruly halls for the swan song.
JUL 30, 2016 12:36 AM