PDF Archive

Easily share your PDF documents with your contacts, on the Web and Social Networks.

Share a file Manage my documents Convert Recover PDF Search Help Contact

deals woot rip nov 24 2009 jul 31 2016 p03 .pdf

Original filename: deals-woot-rip-nov-24-2009-jul-31-2016-p03.pdf

Download original PDF file

Document preview

ask the community

leaderboard

what is deals.woot?

questions → deals.woot rip: november 24, 2009 – july 31, 2016

Deals.Woot RIP: November 24, 2009 – July 31, 2016
JUL 29, 2016 1:59 PM

tattle subscribe

Gossip Girl. L.A. Law. Breaking Bad. All good things that eventually came to an end. Now Deals.Woot
joins them in the place beyond the mists. Because at midnight on July 31, after 2,442 days of glory,
Deals.Woot will close its virtual doors.
We’d like to thank all of our community members, deal posters, sponsored companies, and anyone
else we may have forgotten. We've made this hard decision so we can focus on other areas of the
site, ones that are growing in popularity and require more resources than ever before. Or, to be
poetic, to grow a lovely tree one must prune branches to protect the trunk.
Consider this thread yours, to talk about the good times you had in deals, all the magical in-jokes
you shared, and all the memories that we made over the past seven years. Just please remember:
PG-13. We don’t want those lingerie debates starting all over again.

We are postponing the close to noon on Monday, 8/1.
tags: meta

deals.woot

wootg8r

TOP ANSWERS

Of the platform, this remains one of my favorite UIs. I was sad to see it underutilized and
I'm sad to see it go. But I think it's the right decision.
JUL 29, 2016 4:52 PM

reply tattle

Figured I'd stop in to say goodbye, too. There's definitely some sadness in seeing
deals.woot go, but it's understandable (and in some ways preferable to it languishing).
JUL 29, 2016 5:23 PM

sort by:

@meh3884: While you are keeping it PG-13 - if only barely - you aren't particularly posting in good
taste. What is the point you are trying to get across here? It doesn't really seem worthwhile to

newest oldest votes
lparsons42

attack someone in a forum that has less than 24 hours to live.
JUL 30, 2016 7:37 PM

reply tattle

@lparsons42: sorry, who am i attacking? are you talking about @poopface420 because i really,

shawnmiller

177 ANSWERS

dave bug

reply tattle

Wow, just now seeing this or I would have posted sooner. I consider this site one of my
digital babies. Even though I helped lead the team through a few woot.com redesigns this
was the first Woot effort I built from the ground up with tons of help from Joe andread
Mattmore
and
JUL 29, 2016 8:08 PM

snapster

REALLY can't imagine you couldn't detect the sarcasm there. that dum kid and his dum girlfriend

meh3884

came to my basic training graduation. i'm not kidding, i know a stupid number of idiots from this
place.
JUL 30, 2016 7:48 PM

reply tattle

@meh3884: this is true. Your poor cat mauled me for instance. I've gotten brunch drunk with you &

CBD. TC made me one of my most prized possessions: a butts & narwhals cross stitch. A lotta these

agingdragqueen

weirdos sent me shirts for my shirty thirty and sent me even more coke caps that ocho & I need to
finally compile since we'll never get as much as we really want. I think forums were a lot better here
and made it easier to talk to people than at woot proper. The chatroom gave us a good place to get
to know each other and routinely flow between hate and love.
Sites change, people move in and out, participation goes up and down. But the Internet is a magical
wonderland of places to meet people from all over and that's a nice thing that came out of Deals. I
honestly never cared for much else happening on here beyond the social aspect and I bet not a lot
did, so this was a long drawn out death of a very nice site where it was easy to talk to people.
JUL 30, 2016 8:12 PM

reply tattle

Oh that's not true. Within the first week I bought a small little bag/pouch/purse thing that Mel had

as a sponsored deal. It had an ugly flower on it, it's canvas and unbreakable and I still use either

agingdragqueen

that or a backpack daily. I think that's the only thing I bought/found on Deals. It was a well placed
~$20.
JUL 30, 2016 8:14 PM

reply tattle

@agingdragqueen: i'll never live down that cat mauling ;__;

JUL 30, 2016 8:20 PM

@shrdlu: 3rd page woohoo! :)

JUL 30, 2016 8:33 PM

being somewhere she very clearly did not want to be. I don't hold it against you or the cat, and I
mean the nerve pain stopped for me after a few months anyway lololol
JUL 30, 2016 8:34 PM

mfladd

reply tattle

@meh3884: I am just genuinely glad she was not permanently mentally/physically damaged by

meh3884

agingdragqueen

Hi, f00l

@agingdragqueen: probably should have sued me. i think scott wanted to :| sorry scott :-/ SORRY

ABOUT YOUR HAND. DUMB CAT. god i love that cat, though. she spends all day now sleeping and

meh3884

growling at my dog.
also i'm so sorry again about Frankie. i cried at your post a long time and then looked at all your
photos of her and cried more. and now i'm going to do it again.
JUL 30, 2016 8:41 PM

reply tattle

Yeah, I guess it's time to add my own goodbye here. I wasn't always around this place, but I owe it

for helping me find my boyfriend @poopfeast420 so I'll always be grateful. Caused me to meet a

kalira

large number of people in the #deals.woot chat that I consider some of my really good friends.
@cowboydann if you're reading this, you did a really awesome thing getting that together, and I
thank you for posting it week after week.
@lparsons42 don't worry about @meh3884 messing with that jerkbutt @poopfeast420. He and I
are good friends with her, or at least I'd like to think so. We talk almost every day in our chatroom :)
I'll be another that comes to offer the services of our chat room. If you ever want to talk, there are
some folks who hang out there every day, and as long as you're not popping in solely in hopes that
we can get you a Bandolier of Carrots, you're welcome to come and stay a while. rizon.net/chat -you'll find us in #deals.woot (or http://www.wootstalker.com/chat.php )
JUL 30, 2016 9:14 PM

reply tattle

@meh3884: if it "happened", long ago or not, it happened. And to a lot of people. By a small group

of people. And that group seems to include you.

klacour

I'm not " butt hurt" but to see the crocodile tears of "long time users" bathing in nostalgia and
patting one another on the back for keeping their little club alive about 2 years after hit its past due
date gets called out for what it is.
And, as I thought, all the little minions gather and start down voting because they can't help
themselves.
JUL 30, 2016 9:19 PM

reply tattle

@klacour: i doubt it, i don't think i was ever in the cool kids club. i was, however, in the ultra cool

kids club at deals.woot chat B-) STILL AM. /mic drop.
JUL 30, 2016 9:25 PM

reply tattle

@klacour, I'm not saying there wasn't a group of people who drove people out, because I don't

meh3884

know one way or another whether it happened. As I said in my prior, I was not around here that

kalira

much. The only reason I have a black triangle is because I did a few things here like four years ago,
and the triangle doesn't change unless you're participating.
But I came back to pay my respects, because it's a thing that made an impact on me, even if only
for the weekly and then daily chat room, which was not even officially part of this section. This is a
farewell thread -- why can't you just let people pay their respects and move on? Nobody seems to
be trying to argue why deals.woot should stay around; I'm sure they understand that it has run its
course. Why are you insisting on trying to tear apart or analyze the death of a platform that's not
even going to be here in two days? This is what people do when something dies -- they hold a wake.
Let folks have their beer and remembrances.
JUL 30, 2016 9:28 PM

reply tattle

let us consult the mehcronomicon.

carl669

"Things may come. Things may go. Such is the circle of life. Except herpes. That shite is forever. So
say we all."
JUL 30, 2016 9:34 PM

reply tattle

@carl669: or as Eddie Murphy says. "Herpes is like luggage. That s**t stays with you forever"

JUL 30, 2016 9:58 PM

reply tattle

I am also stopping in to say my goodbyes. I've always enjoyed the community here. It's unfortunate

mfladd

that the corporate overlords let it decay to the point that it's being scrapped. C'est la vie. It's good

kamnet

to know that Archive Team is going to keep the memories preserved. Perhaps we'll all meet again
somewhere, some day. It's been the best.
JUL 30, 2016 10:01 PM

I has a sad.

Love you all!

curtise

-=C=ps. I can't believe my rep finally dropped below Q level with no time to get it back up. BooURNS! ;-)
JUL 30, 2016 10:25 PM

reply tattle

Sweet, firs they start listing questionable refurb items, then they continue to post incorrect and

misleading descriptions for some items, then they start selling things like vibrators, now they

JUL 30, 2016 10:57 PM

reply tattle

@kalira: Whether klacour was shanked by the DW regulars or not, I can't attest, but what I DO find

seansd

completely get rid of the best part of the site. See ya (or actually I won't)!

interesting is what appears to be targeted downvoting of individuals by klacour.

lavikinga

Out of all the down votes cast, thefenst & prettywootprincess seemed to bear the brunt. Maybe I
could understand if their deals were ultra crappy, but they weren't.
Looking at someone's voting as well as comments/questions made & answered across the site can
give you quite an insight into an individual DW member. You only have to click on their name to view
their history.
JUL 30, 2016 11:37 PM

reply tattle

@meh3884: oh no no no he was just smug about it since he didn't want to deal with another animal

(I'm always down for it, obvs), I would never sue over putting an animal in an uncomfortable

agingdragqueen

situation and then just having it react like an animal. Frank was so sweet to her, I think she
understood. She was not as nice to her sister when Sam would have me watch his cats haha. I miss
her every day, she was genuinely the best cat I've ever had.
JUL 30, 2016 11:41 PM

reply tattle

What am I going to do with all those down votes I never used? So long @jumbowoot so long

@snapster, and so long to all the participants in this game called deals.woot. You've been

JUL 30, 2016 11:53 PM

reply tattle

Oh, one last thing - up yours Garth Mader. :)

JUL 31, 2016 12:05 AM

xdavex

reply tattle

One thing to forgot to mention was that this was the place that introduced me to woot. I spent a

xdavex

entertaining.

good two years here before I started chatting at woot proper. I loved it here.

conanthelibrarian

BTW, HI @agingdragqueen!!! So great to have one last go around with friends!!
JUL 31, 2016 1:29 AM

reply tattle

I just started to wonder a bit ago...

shrdlu

What happens at Midnight, tomorrow? Does the site suddenly start handing out 404s? Is it there,
and not there, all at once, and then vanishing before my eyes? Are we all going to be forcibly logged
out, and when we log back in, it's just gone?
Will I disappear? Do I really exist without this place?
You know, you're all just a pack of cards...
Seriously, I'm staying up, glued to the computer screen, tomorrow evening, just to see what
happens.
Take that!!! you stupid Storefront Spammers!
JUL 31, 2016 1:50 AM

reply tattle

We shall miss thee, one of the Woot Armada of yore - I might've only used you once or twice, but

I'm sure that you were nice.
JUL 31, 2016 2:10 AM

reply tattle

And so shall the site once known as deals.woot end: with a bandolier of carrots for all who posted

here. SO SAY WE ALL!
JUL 31, 2016 2:42 AM

cobracat03

So sad.

mystery250

durkzilla

I'm not really sorry to see it go, given what it has devolved into, but sad for what it once was and
what it could have been.
JUL 31, 2016 2:54 AM

reply tattle

@cobracat03: I remember getting a BOC once here. It was the most unique BOC I ever received.

@thunderthighs personally made it, and it was one I will never forget.
JUL 31, 2016 3:04 AM

Ok folks, stop being sharing the personal stuff and being human and funny and sad. STAHPIT.

conanthelibrarian

thumperchick

This place has done so much more than save me a few bucks on stuff I shouldn't have bought. This
is where I found out a community online could be smart, informative, diverse, and not implode.
You've all helped me find answers, made me laugh so hard I teared up, taught me, and pissed me
off. Because of this small corner of the net, I am friends with some wonderful people I would have
never met. (Except @meh3884, I'm certain we would have run into each other at some point.)
These people are... beyond words. The support that this community has thrown to people has been
inspiring.
Thanks for making a place that brought these people together and into my life.
There. Happy now? I got mushy.
JUL 31, 2016 3:16 AM

reply tattle

Also I met some sucka that thinks she can outcraft me. THINK AGAIN LOL.

JUL 31, 2016 3:20 AM

@thumperchick: Awwwwww....

poopfeast420

reply tattle

You did get mushy. It's the kidlet. Your emotions will be screwed up for another 18-20 years, maybe
more. This place used to occupy a bunch of my time, back when it started. Everything changes,

shrdlu

though.
You'll look back on this ten or twenty years from now with some serious nostalgia, in the same way I
think about things long past. I'm glad that we had warning, and that everyone has shown up to
hang out for a bit.
No worries, kiddo. XXOO
JUL 31, 2016 3:24 AM

reply tattle

Dropped in - have not been over here in a long time. When I was going through some really rough

times, this site and the great folks here helped me so much without realizing! It was such a joy to be

JUL 31, 2016 4:14 AM

Hmmm...

klozitshoper

in the community. See you all online somewhere, sometime. Best to all.

hobbitss

May the Q be with you, now and always....
and you, and you, and you..
and even you, grumpy person...
JUL 31, 2016 4:28 AM

Hmmm...

baqui63

I did nothing except upvote a few posts and my rep went from 97th to 83rd place.
Wish I could have spent some mroe time here this weekend, but too much stuff IRL.
So long deals.woot. I'll miss you.
JUL 31, 2016 4:51 AM

reply tattle

@thumperchick: terrifyingly small world, isn't it!

JUL 31, 2016 5:25 AM

I knew there was something amiss when I saw lobsters.

meh3884

steveb944

It will be greatly missed, buying gardening tools will never be the same, and I hope the site
improves from this for the better.
JUL 31, 2016 5:46 AM

reply tattle

I stop by today and there's this. Damn.

chris12345

I remember the good ol' days. We had some fun.
I'm glad I met the people I met here, and I'm happy to have had the good experiences that I did.
I'm sorry I wasn't more active recently, and I'm saddened by the retirement of Deals.Woot.
waves
JUL 31, 2016 6:41 AM

reply tattle

I've always thought that woot! was one of the best things on the interwebs, even though I never

was a regular participant in the forums. I just came here to buy things I didn't need, but I looked

richardkinast

back at my history, and it's been a year and a half since I bought anything other than a shirt. (BOC,
Jan 2015)
I will miss deals.woot as one of my daily stops, but I'll keep checking woot! until the 'zon
disassembles the rest of it.
Otherwise, see y'all on the mediocre side.
20 HOURS AGO

reply tattle

@baqui63: Screwy math on Deals part. After being gone for a few years, then adding a few deals

about 6 months ago, and then my activity from yesterday, I see this morning my rep popped into the

lavikinga

top twenty. Just goes to show how broken Deals really is.
It truly is time to put 'er out in the field to let the crows & ravens roost in.
18 HOURS AGO

reply tattle

@lavikinga: I suspect that the "Powers That Be" have already started to turn off the lights and

things will progressively stop working..

17 HOURS AGO

reply tattle

This saddens me incredibly :( I remember the days of good deals and oh cheri panties (mom!?) RIP

to one of my best sources of deals before it was ran into the ground after being taken over by

reply tattle

@ghostofcatbert RocketBoy, is that you?
17 HOURS AGO

regulars did a better job of putting up with me hanging around than could have been hoped for.
Honestly, it seems to be you're more upset about being left out than anyone being openly
antagonistic towards you. If you want to be part of inside jokes, you just have to hang around the
people making them for awhile and interact.
16 HOURS AGO

lavikinga

reply tattle

@klacour: I was an asshole for most of the time deals.woot had a community, and I would say the

nangiggles

Amazon.

17 HOURS AGO

hobbitss

Waiting for Hal to start singing..

panthiest

@zippythepinhead got into some excellent....uh...."conversations".....on several of today's top deals

f00l

that were posted, upvoted, and defended by shills.
Normally I'm not crazy about namecalling and the like, but @zip's attitude seems funny and
appropriate to me about these sorts of deals, here at the end.
Thanks, @zip.
16 HOURS AGO

reply tattle

I guess Amazon is making the decision for me to drop out of Woot!

greengolf

They changed Woot! and it got progressively bad and worse.
Bye bye to the fun loving, adventurous spirit of the founders of Woot!
You are missed.
16 HOURS AGO

@f00l:

f00l

It appears that the more inflammatory argument comments re several garbage top deals between
@zippythepinhead and some shill defender of a junk product were deleted by a mod.
That's cool - it was all just an escalation of *I fart in your general direction" type stuff.
Thanks anyway, @zip. I saw it, it made me smile.
15 HOURS AGO

reply tattle

@lavikinga: Yep, that's just who you think it is. He replied over on the meh threads (which is

shrdlu

probably better, since this one's going to be real hard to find by tomorrow).
15 HOURS AGO

@f00l:

f00l

My bad. Me id10t.
It's not @zippythepinhead. It's @zippy the pinhead with spaces. Or something like that. Only I don't
know how to make it work right.
So, personal expressions:
A shout-out to @zippy the pinhead. With spaces. If I got it right this time, which I doubt. Thanks,
@zip
And a shout-out to the awesome @postingviolations.
And a shout-out to all the @staff people who care, and who tried. Please, all of you, come out today.
And a shout-out to @jumbowoot. Thx thx thx.
And where is @magic cave (again with a space? dunno how to do it right). Has anyone got an email
contact?
Can anyone tell me how to do the @ username thing when then name contains a space?
PS. Lightbox entry and edit still sux. Several of them collapsed on me this morning.
15 HOURS AGO

@shrdlu: :) TY

I think about him often & wonder if his life is going as planned, especially when I catch a glimpse

lavikinga

from my back yard of a launch streaking across the southern sky.
I'll have to wander over to meh and track him down.
14 HOURS AGO

reply tattle

@f00l: Magic Cave (yeah, I've forgotten the special incantations, too) can be found over at meh.

Many DWs gravitated in that direction. I think it was a natural migration once the word got out.

lavikinga

I think of MC & smile every time I roast a turkey. You see, I had an itch for a particularly ridiculous
turkey timer... We did a crazy hand off in our local doughnut shop years ago. My youngest, ever
protective of her internet naive mom, decided she was coming along for protection because it could
be a ruse (according to the Twins, I wasn't allowed to go to 4chan or encyclopaedica dramatica, etc.
because MOM! You can't unsee those things!). I think she was actually surprised Magic Cave was all
shades of normal, nice, and safe. Kids. What goes through their minds?
@snapster and company are so easy going with the new place. One really has to step in the poo to
deserve being modded.
14 HOURS AGO

reply tattle

@f00l: To tag a user with spaces in their username, enclose the username with square brackets. I

found this in the Unofficial FAQ: