What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Smile! It's the international language.
Cosmetic dentistry consists of any procedure that will enhance the smile overall. It can be as simple as
whitening or changing an old filling on a front tooth. Or it can be more extensive with the placement of
crowns, bridges, or veneers for teeth that are crooked, spaced, missing or discolored by dated dental
work. It can also include treating a "gummy smile". Regardless of the procedure, the goal is to bring ths
smile back to an appearance that suits the individual. For further details about cosmetic dentistry, please
Preparing Yourself for Cosmetic Dentistry
When considering cosmetic dentistry ask the dentist for:
1. A portfolio of his/her work. Each dentist has a personalized style as an artist does, revealing itself
in photographs of patients already treated.
2. References from patients who have already been treated and if possible ask to meet with them.
Many patients who have been through this transformation are so happy with their results they are
happy to share their experiences.
3. The frequency of cosmetic dental procedures performed on a daily, weekly, monthly basis.
4. Adequate time to ensure that all your questions have been addressed. This is a procedure that
cannot be rushed. It is imperative that you understand the process.
5. Information on the "cosmetic try-in". This is an appointment like a dress rehearsal. It is an
opportunity for you to see what the new veneers or crowns will look like prior to them being
cemented in. It’s done for you to view the new smile and critique it. It is done after the teeth have
been prepared and the temporary teeth have been worn for a few weeks. The laboratory will have
95% completed the final veneers or crowns. At this appointment the new veneers or crowns are
placed over top of the teeth with some gel. As the new smile is viewed a list of changes are made
and they are sent back to the laboratory for final adjustments. This may include color or
shape. The purpose is to give you an opportunity to view the new teeth without feeling pressure
to have them cemented immediately. Within a week, the final product is completed and the new
teeth are cemented in.