Original filename: 1935ConsecrationsEng.pdf
Title: Ἡ Πρῶτη Σύνοδος καὶ αἱ Χειροτονίαι τοῦ 1935
This PDF 1.4 document has been generated by Acrobat PDFMaker 8.1 for Word / Acrobat Distiller 8.1.0 (Windows), and has been sent on pdf-archive.com on 23/09/2014 at 09:12, from IP address 46.176.x.x.
The current document download page has been viewed 466 times.
File size: 118 KB (1 page).
Privacy: public file
Download original PDF file
The First Synod and the Consecrations of 1935
In 1935, two hierarchs of the Orthodox Church of Greece (Metropolitan
Germanus Mavromatis of Demetrias and Metropolitan Chrysostom
Demetriou of Zacynthus) and one retired hierarch of the Ecumenical
Patriarchate (Metropolitan Chrysostom Kavourides of Florina) joined the
Sacred Struggle and assumed the leadership of the Old Calendarists of
Greece. Germanus of Demetrias became the President of the Holy Synod and
the Locum Tenens of the Metropolis of Athens. This act was most canonical
because the innovative “Archbishop” Chrysostom Papadopoulos of Athens
had illegally usurped the Archdiocesan throne in 1923, whereas the lawful
Archbishop was Theocletus Menopoulos (+1931).
Assisted by the Metropolitans Chrysostom of Florina and Chrysostom
of Zacynthus, Metropolitan Germanus of Demetrias, as the canonical and
lawful President of the Synod, performed, in Keratea of Attica, the
consecrations of four new bishops. Those consecrated were Bishop Germanus
Varykopoulos of the Cyclades, Bishop Christopher Chatzis of Megaris, Bishop
Polycarp Liosis of Diaulia, and Bishop Matthew Karpathakis of Bresthena.
The first three Metropolitans and the abovementioned newly‐ordained four
Bishops constituted the first re‐establishment of the canonical Holy Synod of
the Orthodox Church of Greece since the time of Archbishop Theocletus
Menopoulos of Athens, who had been dismissed in 1923 and reposed in 1931.